If you need to communicate with a web service running over HTTPS and you are using WCF web service reference to accomplish this you need to add the following section to the Binding for the service endpoint in the Web.config.
The following are the differences between a regular WCF Service and a Silverlight-Enabled WCF Service.
- Utilize the ‘wsHttpBinding’ as their default binding
- Are generated with an Interface
Silverlight-Enabled WCF Services
- Utilize ‘basicHttpBinding’ as their default binding
- have no interface generated when they are created
- have the following added to the class
- [AspNetCompatibilityRequirements(RequirementsMode = AspNetCompatibilityRequirementsMode.Allowed)]
- the following element is added to the
In order to use WCF (Windows Communication Foundation) you first need to register it with IIS. In order to accomplish this you need to use the ServiceModelReg.exe tool supplied when .Net 3.0 is installed on your system.
You can find the utility under C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg.exe and run it in a console with the flag -i (ServiceModelReg.exe -i).