We have moved from the original notion of a Web Site to what is now called a Web API.
Open Data Protocol – OData
Netflix just announced they have added a new API to their services using the OData protocol.
VS2010: Has an OData visualizer plugin
OData libraries are available for various platforms. No longer do you need to create proxies to attach to custom services you can simply use the OData library targeting the platform for which you are developing. There is an OData library for the iPhone. SharePoint 2010 is moving all lists to OData Atom feeds. Excel 2010 will now use OData services for Pivot tables and calculations. Microsoft has moved tons of products to implement or consume the OData protocol.
.Net OData library has been released under the Apache license and is available today for all to use. www.odata.org to get implemented libraries for various platforms.
Microsoft announces that VS2010 now fully supports
- multi-monitors from one instance of VS, you can now pull out your code file from VS to one of your other monitors, no longer do you have to switch between markup and code files.
- Add richer code visualizations
- multiple web.config files for each of your environments (sooooo very cool)
- integrated deployments tools for packaging and deploying applications to each of your environments
- Search for library objects by using Pascal based notation (use TIM to find ThisIsMyOwnObject)
- Sequence Diagrams showing exactly how your methods are being called
- Clean URLs called Routing
- Now includes new controls such as charts and data
- all controls output clean markup
- everything is stylable within the control markup
- Better, more accurate, and responsive intellisense within markup files
JQuery Script Templates are actual HTML markup with Data-Binding expressions within that markup stored in script tags identified by a template name in the pages markup. These templates are used by JQuery and are populated on the client side on the return of AJAX calls to the server or services.
- JQuery is available on Microsoft’s CDN so you don’t have to host them yourself
- Microsoft will be contributing code
- Microsoft will be contributing QA resources
- Microsoft will be contributing plugins
- JQuery has a 30% market share across the web
- Dynamic script loading based on dependencies
Microsoft is focusing on making sure that HTML5 script and markup works identically across all browser platforms by working together with other browser vendors as well as the standards body.
Microsoft announces that IE 9 will have full blown hardware acceleration built in to make HTML5 super fast.
IE6 is dead, wooooo hoooooo!
– Posted using my iPhone
Microsoft announces that with the new version of XNA you will be able to target 3 platforms with the same code, Desktop, Windows Phone 7, and XBox.
Microsoft announces that all development tools needed to develop Windows Phone 7 applications will be provided free of charge. That’s right completely free!